I know its the new year now and many of you are back onto healthy eating and exercise just like I am. This post is slightly overdue as I've been having severe laptop issues. But I thought I'd share the best ever macaroni pie recipe. Just had to!
I have tried many adaptations of this pie from Jamaican, Guyanese to Trinidadian recipes. I've even made what they call southern style macaroni cheese and I believe I have come up with a simple tasty and full proof recipe for Macaroni Pie inspired from all of the above!
After rave reviews from family over the season I have decided to share hoping you and your loved ones enjoy too!
150g Grated Red Leicester Cheese
100g Mature Grated Cheese
200g Philadelphia cream (go for full fat if you dare)
410g 1 Can of Evaporated milk
1 cup of semi skimmed milk
2 beaten eggs
400g of penne pasta (or any of your choice)
1 onion (halved)
6 cloves garlic (crushed)
1 cube Chicken stock
3 tbsp Vegetable bouillon
Half Scotch Bonnett pepper (seeds removed)
Two sprigs of thyme
- Bring to boil a large pot of water and infuse with the chopped onion, crushed garlic, chicken stock, vegetable bouillon, scotch bonnet pepper, bay leaf, thyme, salt and black pepper.
- Add the pasta shells and boil until al dente on a medium heat- you don't want the pasta to be fully cooked.
- After approx 7 mins strain the pasta and transfer to a large bowl. Discard of the thyme, bay leaf, onion and crush the garlic and scotch bonnet (if you dare) and add to bowl of boiled pasta.
- Now to make the cheese sauce. Pour can of evaporated milk, cup of semi skimmed milk into the bowl of pasta along with the grated cheeses and Philadelphia. (Make sure you save enough grated cheese for the top.) Stir the mixture well before adding two beaten eggs.
- At this point the pasta will be almost covered completely by a rich thick cheese sauce. Add an extra pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Pour mixture into a large pie dish and top with remaining grated cheeses.
- Bake on a medium heat of 180 degrees Celsius for 30-45 mins or until golden brown on top.
If you do give it a go please let me know.